click below to see the new list for this year! (2018-19)
The 2017-18 winner is
- Voting (students must read at least 3 books/pass quiz to vote)
- School Battles– This is for students who read at least 10 of the books-
- You must pass the A.R. quiz (70% or higher) for the incentives
- Someone can read the book to you or with you and it will count
- You may only check out one S.S.Y.R.A. book at a time from the library
- You may put S.S.Y.R.A. books on hold when you have read 10
- S.S.Y.R.A. books cannot be overdue or renewed so you only have two weeks to read them, get started as soon as you check one out!
About the Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award Program (S.S.Y.R.A.)
The Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award Program is a statewide reading motivation program for students in grades 3-8. The purpose of the SSYRA program is to encourage students to read independently for personal satisfaction, based on interest rather than reading level. Sunshine State books are selected based on their wide appeal, literary value, varied genres, curriculum connections, and/or multicultural representation. Students are encouraged to read books that are above, on, and below their tested reading level in order to improve their reading fluency. The Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award Program (SSYRA) is coordinated by library media specialists in schools participating in the program. Throughout the year, individual teachers work with their library media specialist(s) to implement the SSYRA Program and to encourage students to read independently. Parents please note that these books are chosen for students in grades 3 through 5 by the SSYRA committee. Based on the subject and reading level, some of the books will be better suited for your child than others. I encourage you to become familiar with the books and if you have any questions let me know.