Sharing a meal with others is a special thing. We serve over 700 students a day at the Lighthouse Cafe and we want to make their time here as refreshing as possible. Please read the following information to learn how you can help us efficiently and effectively meet the social and nutritional needs of our students.
When you are finished reading what we have here, please check out some of the great links you will find at the bottom of the page!
Bringing Lunch from Home
- Please keep nutrition in mind when you pack your child’s lunch box. Students getting a well balanced lunch do far better during the second half of their day.
- Practice opening any containers or packages with your student before you send them to school. Please be sure your student can open all the items you send to school.
- Check out the links at the bottom of this page for information on adding variety to your child’s homemade lunch. A little bit of creativity can go a long way to encourage eating a variety of healthy foods!
Buying Lunch at School
- Students purchase lunch using a PIN code to access their pre-paid account. Students are assigned their PIN numbers by Food Services.
- Prices: Lunch, $2.80/day ($14.00/week); milk, $.60; bottled water, $.60; juice, $.75; ice cream, $1.00
- Parents can add money to their child’s account by sending a check or cash in the Red Folder. Parents can also use PayPams to pay online. PayPams offers the added convenience of paying via credit or debit cards. You will find a link to PayPams at the bottom of this page. A combination of payments methods works, too. Most people do a little of everything.
- We expect student accounts to be up to date, but we know that even the most organized families sometimes drop the ball. If your child’s account drops below zero, he/she will be allowed to purchase the advertised lunch that day and the following day. Students in arrears will not be allowed to purchase a la carte items. If an account goes more than two lunches into debt, students will not be allowed to purchase the advertised lunch, but will instead be given a sandwich, fruit and a milk. If your child’s account has dropped below zero, you will receive a note in the Red Folder.
Buying Breakfast at School
- Students purchase breakfast in the same way lunch is purchased.
- Prices: breakfast, $1.25/day ($6.25/week)
- Breakfast is served from 7:50-8:20 each morning. Please be sure that your child is at school before 8:15 to avoid being tardy to class.
Joining your Student for Lunch or Breakfast
- Adults pre-approved for building access are welcome to have a meal with their students. If you have not been pre-approved, you can go to www.sjohns.k12.fl.us/depts/cr/volunteer/access to apply. Approval can take up to six weeks to process, so don’t delay!
- Adults may purchase lunch or breakfast using their child’s Paypams account.
- Prices: lunch, $3.75 or breakfast, $1.60
- You will find a Lunch Schedule link below.
- Please be careful when choosing food to bring from the outside into the cafeteria. Fast food and special treats for one student can be a source of distraction for the other students.
- When you are visiting your child for a meal, please do not offer food to other students. Food sharing in the cafeteria is not allowed.
- Please feel free to assist your child’s classmates if they need help opening things, cleaning up spills, etc.
Here are those helpful links you have been reading about!
- Free and Reduced Lunch Information
- School Building Access Application (approval required to enter the building)Health Inspection 09 17
- Breakfast and Lunch Menus
- Healthy Lunch Packing Guide
- Choose My Plate (nutrition information for families)
- PayPams (payment and cafeteria purchase tracking website)
- St. John’s County Schools Food and Nutrition Services
- Health Inspection 09 17
- State of Florida Sanitation Certificate 2017
Contact us. We are here to help.
Please feel free to contact the Lighthouse Cafe’s manager, Adelia DeFalco. Mrs. DeFalco can be reached via phone: 904-547-7969, or e-mail: [email protected]